Saturday, January 03, 2009

Mayada - Daughter of Iraq

Blig,

Just finished reading an intriguing book. A very sad one too. It's her life story,Mayada Al-Askari. Author: Jean Sasson

Oh, Happy New Year 2009. :) Songie pongie mongie - Happy new year!

Back to this book. Initially, I thought it is an autobiography,well, it is, sort of. The book describes her (Mayada) powerful and influential background, dated generations before her.More importantly, her inprisonment in Baladiyat and her mingling with other shadow woman (I still do not understand why she describes fellow inmates as shadow woman???) and their lives. I admire the author for being able to slip in softer shades of mood, in between terrible moments of torture descriptions and terrifying sections of human evil-ness. (Particularly Saddam's family events, which depicts greed,evil....etc etc)

Firstly, I come to feel very very sorry for the Iraqis. Why is it, in this very same world we live in, there are great disporportionate of food distribution, wealth and level of freedom? Almost immediately, it reflects back on my life, my family and friends and the people around me. Boy, are we lucky.

Why do I read such kind of books? Because these are real. Real events, real people. Of course, it can be biased, but the more I read books like these, the more intrigue I am of people and their lives.

Some ppl would love to travel the world and see different places. As for me, I would love to know people's lives, and venture into different years of existence and see what they see, hear what they hear, and know what they know. Be it a,traveller(Sarah MacDonald), a famous geisha, sister of a famous singer (Maria Callas),granddaugther of a warrior (Mayada/Jafar/Sati...), my living friends and family...

Okay, enough wandering thoughts.

New Year's eve was an exceptionally special day for me. Special night. I hope I do remind myself of how good it felt and retain the happiness from within, for as long as I can. Nice weather, "nice" sitting session, inspiring Dhamma talk from A.Kalyano & one of A.Chah's disciples.

Ah,bliss. I shouldn't complain for I am content today.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 6:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aahh..well said. i've always known u love autobiographies..sometimes reading it is another way to know other ppls lives apart from travelling..peace out! take care gal!

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Claudio Tomassini said...

I invite you to visit my blog. you can find my last works of art at:

www.claudiotomassini.blogspot.com

yours Claudio Tomassini

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger yoon see said...

Yeah.
God is with us.
Peace and blessing:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home