Wednesday, December 13, 2006

tO PaY oR nOT to PaY?

Dearest Blig,

I've got this dilemma.I'm back home for the holidays and I am hoping that I wld be able to meet up with friends, family, etc etc. But,everytime I meet someone, I have this sudden urge/expectation to pay for the meet up. Most times, I really hope I get the privilege to pay for tea/dinner/lunch.But,it's getting too often.... and question is;where do I draw a line?Family members n relatives?Friends?Just close friends? But, what defines close friends?For me, I have many friends and many close friends..then how? Tricky, isn't it?

I guess I have learnt to adopt the -self payment- service,which I think is practical.Pay for wat u spend on and from what you have earned.Clearcut. In the 'chinese' culture- this is frowned upon. A.A. style is just too - 'brutal' and 'not-good-for-the-face'.One can also be classified as 'kiam siap'- tight ass --haha..actually-tight pocket. And, the degree in accounting makes it even more prominent.

I've come to learn tat-well,you cannot please everybody.Besides, I work hard for my money and it's only rightful that I decide on how and who I want to spend it on. Undue influence and invisible pressure just need to stay where they are.Far away.

In other words- expecting my friends to pay for me - I can say honestly,I don't favour it either.

I just need to let this out because I have this uneasy feeling.

** tight ass **

6 Comments:

At 6:25 PM, Blogger feichai said...

Goes back Very much to the topic of helping Others and helping oneself. By helping others and you Suffer in the process isn't helping your ownself.

Therefore, always help yourself first then you'll be alright. Oh course. too much will deem you to be selfish or Kedekut but let's do things in all Modesty.

try not to think so much about the bill and enjoy the Company at that moment in time. I'm sure the shop wouldn't mind U washing the dishes as payment, ;))

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger jo said...

hahaha i like his comment :P welcome home.. but too bad i'm not there anymore.. take care and have fun :)

 
At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually adopt the following:~
try to go out with just one close friend or two, and usually I will offer to pay first (cos these friends are usually close ones whom I only see once or twice a yr). If I go out with a huge group of people then it depends on the venue.Usually we end up going AA--Im sure your friends would understand, so fret not.
You can also adopt the "territorial" approach, i.e. if your friends visit you in your normal place of residence, you pay. When you visit them, they pay. It works for me lah. ahahahah
You are right, you've worked hard for your money, so its only right to spend it according to your budget and your plans. We can never please anybody. You can pay for the whole table and ppl can still say that you're making a gazillion bucks and its only right that you treat them.
One way to do it- go to self service food chains. Thats how you do it without being caught in the "should I pay or not" situation. hehehehe Im evil.

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger Songie said...

thx for the ideas, guyz (including washing dishes, ad...)

Jo-having fun!!

 
At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WELCOME home. Songie.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Songie said...

thankiu alexxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home