Sunday, January 22, 2006

8 precept

What just happened?
Spent half the day on saturday upholding the 8precepts with fellow SriLankans and 2monks(whom they call 'chief high priestess').(52 of us observed the 8 precepts yesterday)I seated myself next to two ladies,one who,very often sleeps during the Dhamma talk(which they refer to as 'sermon')and the lady on my left told me outright that she couldn't hear anything because her left ear and eye are failing.So,they are(mdm on left n right)no different from me because I cannot understand Sinhalese.

Agenda
The day starts as early as 8am(I left home at 630 to Mr&MrsK's place)in the temple and ends at 5pm.But I left with MrK at 2ish to get some typing done for him till 6.It was a good day of practice&effort.During sermons,although I couldn't understand the chief high priestess,I had 3 Dhamma books(one loaned to me by MrsK)and 2 which I had brought. So,I got my 'sermon' from the book.In between,there were a short/long? meditation session, and heaps of puja after/before sermon.There were 2 sessions of dana whereby those 'not observing' 8precepts would offer food to us-mainly youngsters/parents/children,whereby,they-observe the 5 precept instead.

Dana
Had loads of food offered to us.All vegetarian of course.I did not bother to request for a spoon although someone did ask me.The 'layppl'(cewah..)even came with a bowl and jar of water for us to wash our hands before/after eating.I had to practice well for all the effort!Food-heaps of variety.Second session of dana was loadful coz tummy felt so full.But,thought that-it's gonna be my only eating session for the day(6th precept-eat before noon,not at inappropriate time)

Session
My first session,I sat through without a cushion but by noon,I needed one. :) Try to be gungho la!I managed to pick up loads of puja;as I can remember the Pali chant by heart-main ones.But,all of them are experts!They could follow the monks at high speed or low speed,or any text,depending on which the monks starts off with.For the lengthy suttas,most of them I know which stanzas they were chanting-so,I had the understanding,but need to depend on my 2books and kept on flipping through pages because I couldn't remember it in Pali let alone, read it at high/moderate speed.Loads of repeats on the main stanzas-especially salutation to the triple gem-which is good,coz i cld remember them,transference of merits,Mangala Sutta(blessings),Maha Jaya Mangala Gatha(blessing n protection)-i'm typing this by referring to the book again!
Comment: Chanting is not just 'chanting' mindlessly,but it is the teachings which tells us how to be a good person,for me, at least.(just that,it is in Pali,I have the english translations),and sharing the good 'thought' with everyone!This is why it is good effort to think good and greater effort to do good.Think good-changing the thought flow,right thoughts,do good-right actions.(and others-not gonna write down now)

Offerings
For the offering session,the 'layppl' walks around with vaseful of flowers and we just need to 'touch' the tip of the vase.At home,we hold it up and 'offer' to the Buddha.Different method,same concept.There were 2 sessions-flowers and food.

Comment:Now, the concept of offering is not something hoo-hah,or some old fashioned ritual which is out-of-this-world.I just feel that I ought to explain a little bit about offerings.Offer flower is not that much on 'offering' but a gentle reminder on how short life is.Imagine the concept-we're like the flower.In few days,the flowers will die,which also reminds us that,we will die too.Erm,as for food,I'm not too sure-but I wld take it as food which sustains us throughout the day,shld be respected as well.We cannot live without eating-tat's for sure!(other concept of offering-water,incense,etc etc,not going to write this down)


Dresscode
Wore white.Don't feel out of place now. :) 8precept takers all wore white(Mr&MrsK,too).With white shawl,white towels,white socks.


Fellow practitioners

The lady on my right is v.nice.She talks to me,reads my book and says its sufficient to go through the day,brought me outside to show me the Bodhi tree they planted.According to Mr&MrsK,they like my presence (as much as I like theirs)and hope that I come again. :) Yea,sure! It will be nicer if there is someone by my side to explain the sermon,but I got my 'summaries' from ppl I talk to,so,I have an idea.High Chief priestess mention about the qualities of a 'good' person.Boy,interesting topic-wish I could have understood his point of view.But relied on the book instead.Whichever way-still gets through.

By the grace of this merit that I have acquired,May I never follow the foolish;but only the wise until I attain the final goal-Nibbana. :)

YIIIPPPEPEPEP..HAHA!!
8 PRECEPT
1)I take the precept to abstain from killing
2)I take the precept to abstain from stealing
3)I take the precept to abstain from sexual indulgence
4)I take the precept to abstain from lying
5)I take the precept to abstain from anything that causes intoxication and heedlessness
6)I take the precept to abstain from taking food at inappropriate times
7)I take the precept to abstain from dancing,singing,music and unseemly shows;from the use of garlands,perfumes and unguents;from things that tend to beautify and adorn(the person)
8)I take the precept to abstain from (using)high and luxurious seats

SADHU!SADHU!SADHU!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home