Monday, September 03, 2007

Sickie

How does it feel like to be sick in bed for 5.5 days? Let me tell u...

1)(THURS)At first,exciting. Coz u've got a chance to sulk, grab attention, sleep, do nothing.
2)(THURS)Also,at first, unsure. Am I really sick? Can I not go to work? I've got so many things to do pending!!
3)(FRI)Thinking it's all a joke.Planned when to get better-the following day,of course!
4)(SAT)Then it all looked good, 1.5 days later, throat clearing, fever no more, just the sorethroat...cmon..what can a simple small sore throat do?
5)(SAT NITE)Biggest mistake: Thought that I was much better.Went out for a bday bash!(It's the weekend anyway!)But, had to shout to get the conversation across, and laugh n talk...had a good time but the price to pay for all that?Hefty!
6)(SUN) Started going downhill again. Sorethroat became unbearable, cough sets in, voice starts goign off..slowly, my voice became inaudible. It wasn't fun anymore.
7)(SUN)Slept, woke up, cough, clear throat, pop in panadol to clear the headache and body ache.... the cough+sorethroat+scratchy throat+blocked nose - it was getting serious.
8)(MON)Realizes that I had lost my tastebuds & smell buds.Everything tastes bland,nothing smells.Found out that I had burst the eye capilarry....my left eye became bloodshot watery red due to all the coughing.... nl says it will subside...i hope it will.
9)(MON) Doc confirms that I have viral throat infection.Suddenly felt determined to get better.Drank heaps of water,gargles heaps of times,and slept like a pig/dog/whatever.Wake up only to gargle some more,drink some more water and clear the throat.
10)(TUES) Got my voice back. Throat -feels better. Can taste my food and smell the eucalyptus scented tissue paper.I'm determined to put an end to this journey.I'm going to work tomorrow!!!

During those times in bed, all sorts of dreams appeared. Happenings during high school,friends... events that never took place but wish it did, familiar faces, memories.... like going through a photo album/video, chapter by chapter.Quite fun actually.Sometimes, there are times when we need to just sit down and look back.I got to do bits of meditation,or rather, try to focus on something-apart from my throat.Well,it's hard coz to watch the breath,it's so closely linked to the throat,the nose, and amist all those coughings..what sort of meditation I got out of it,was certainly "added bit of flavour" to what i originally started out with.

But all good fun. An experience. Sickness brings one back to reality.In a way. We're no robots.... we're mere living human beings. Nothing more than that. In the midst of all material pursuits, by the end of the day, it doesn't really matter that much- not as much as life itself. The breathing in..breathing out part.

Wakakaka..... back to getting into bed.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home