Monday, August 01, 2005

Hesitation

I have been hesitating whether to blog or not today.Finally typing in.

Long weekend.I went for the People Outdoors camp from Friday evening to Sunday.As I have already mentioned,I participate in the camp as a volunteer to help out in assisting the disabled.

This particular camp,I was assigned to D,in which,I would say,need moderate-to-high level of personal care.Don't really feel like going into details.In short,I am okay with the whole deal.Somehow,it's not only giving from my part,but rather,receiving as well?She showers me with affection while I work on the other physical needs.The weekend kept my mind off worries for a moment as well.

Tiring?Definitely.Stoned out today.During camp,I get to go on the flying fox(120mtrs length,probably 10mtrs high),the giant swing,archery,scavenger hunt,low ropes course,etc etc.I must highlight the giant swing.It's really GIANT.One can go as high as 10mtrs and swing from one end to another.This camp,the giant swing is located at the end of a slope,so,when one swings,it feels as though you're being swung off the cliff.

D has been an obedient girl throughout camp.No tantrums,so,it's good.Of course,to attend to her every needs takes a lot from one carer.What makes me go for these kind of camps?Somehow,the satisfaction derived is indescribable?I cannot explain.

On a more realistic way,the weekend off to do something worthwhile is probably why I was there.The last time I went for camp,we were reimbursed for the expenses spent to go for the camp,so,I hope they practice the same thing as well.Just need to be honest,a bit of allowance will definitely help.Not too sure,since they have changed management.Even if it's no longer practiced,well,at least,I got the weekend of lodging,food and fun.

Take good care,D.Be good girl.Have you heard of cerebral palsy?She has got that.Epilepsy?That as well.Ever taken your legs for granted?She needs help walking short distance.Long distance?Needs to be wheeled.Able to eat on your own?She needs to be fed most of the time.Ever felt helpless?That's her-full swing.

Now,can you start to appreciate how lucky you are?

4 Comments:

At 5:05 AM, Blogger meiyin said...

good to hear fr u. take care;)

 
At 4:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Songie,
Saw your photos in your other blog (music@songie)
Looks like pic from ur house right?
How are you these days? Take care!
Bk

 
At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Songie for enriching those special ppl's life and your life as well! :)

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Songie said...

hay,good to hear from u galz as well.:)
ML,D is really good natured.When she is 'around'(mentally),she looks with such dear,understanding eyes.She enriches my life,whatever small gestures which she was able to do-i.e.hug,smile.Miss her actually. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home