Friday, August 12, 2005

Misc/Typist

It's friday already?

Last Sunday: Uni Open Day.Spent the whole day listening to performances by students,lecturers.Understood a little about the proper flute playing,voice,learnt a new chinese instrument-Sheng,ethnomusicology-saw an Indonesian performance ,Jazz
& Stage band performance,piano&flute ensemble,Strings quartet.Spoke to lecturers about possibility of esemble on my side/non-assessed practical/performance.Outcome highly unlikely.For now,it's still majoring in musicology/pedagogy for me.My supervisor pleased with my topic,wants me to major in Classical.Considering.

Discussion with Lecturer
My 3500wds needs re-vamping.I think I'm down back to about 1000wds.Scrap Haydn.*phew!!*-but I know it's to supervisor's disappointment-coz 18th century is his major of expertise.Now,my focus have steered to 19th century,Btv.My whole thing is 10000 words.(heard,towards the end of my course,1 thesis can go up to 40000 words)

Employment
Firstly,I didn't get 2 jobs which I went for interview.I was pretty devastated,then.
Secondly,I got a casual job,*which* I'm v.lucky to have bcoz there were other enquiries for the same position.
What casual?
Yesterday,I spent the day working as a typist and I am called to work today as well.So,this entry short one(going off soon).As I was typing,I cannot help but remember the days at work in audit.Sad to say,I keep remembering that spiteful comment from a colleague when he sneered/jeered/ sarcastically laughed at me when I helped our firm's(my ex-firm)typist during a particular season,called the 'peak period' after her work hours.I remember my senior saying,'pls type this for me',and something about his expensive time cost' and implied to me that 'this kind of work is definitely not something he will want to learn as it does not add value to his learning curve'.

What good does one get by demeaning one for the purpose of inflating the ego of another?What good does he get by putting himself a level 'higher'..nothing but ego inflation & over valued self-worth.

But,guess what?I am a casual typist!Although it's not a long term job,but:
1)I'm typing a thesis for a PhD candidate who has had decades of experience backed up behind him over the years.He was involved in WWII as an aeronautical engineer/then,towards a degree in engineering,later on,masters in education and now,his doctorate.He travelled from Sri Lanka,at one point,was in London & now Aus.

2)His topic: "Problems faced by SriLankans (in some areas,cover asian)Skilled Migrant in looking for jobs in Australia" where I now know,97,500 PRs will be issued by 2006,result from an increase of 20,000 expected successful applicants(look at the competition??)

3)The pay is good(mostly bcoz of his generosity,not the mkt rate) and I work hard.

It's late now.I've gtg.My point is:Do not underestimate any jobs.My 'employer' likes my typing skills and he has offered me accounting jobs with his son.But all those is uncertain,definitely,especially since his thesis speaks volumes.

His Buddha's altar......magnificent.Later.